Wondering how to edit this département entry? The Wikipedia:WikiProject French departements standards might help.
Miles no meters ! I verified if the surface is comptible with the dimensions that'ok. The text comes from the 1911 encyclopedia.
Why did you disambiguate from "Var" to "Var (département)". I do not see the usefulness of the "(département)" in the title since: 1- the article contains a disambiguation block 2- the "Var" article redirects to "Var (département)"
olivier 04:07 17 Jun 2003 (UTC)
- Ah, damn... I knew someone was going to complain about this. The story is this:
- I noticed on Special:Wantedpages a reference to Departement of Justice and Police. Seeing as this is English text, I was convinced that it should be Department, so I changed all occurrances of it.
- Then I performed a search on the word departement, thinking it might be a common misspelling. I saw several pages (including, for example, Cher (departement)) that had the word in their title, although the misspelling in this case wasn't a superfluous e, but rather a missing accent aigu, since this is talking about French départements.
- Since the search returned only those pages that actually had the (departement) disambiguation in their title, it led me to believe (blindly)
- that every French département had "(departement)" in the page title, and
- that the list I saw on the search results page was complete.
- The search result also contained one or two pages, and I suppose Var (departement) was one of them, that redirected to the page without "(departement)" in the title. So I blindly went for consistency, not knowing that in the other cases, the sole purpose of it was disambiguation.
- This is probably the longest excuse I have ever written. Please feel free to correct my mistakes. -- Timwi 13:08 17 Jun 2003 (UTC)
- You did a great job at replacing department by département! As you realized, I do not think that the Var département needs a disambiguation in its title for the moment (some important other "VAR" may appear in the future...). Thanks for your contributions. olivier 10:24 18 Jun 2003 (UTC)
Value added reseller